Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Attack of the blobs

I'm swimming in the Gulf, off the coast of Destin, when I feel something nipping at my heels.  I take a look and see a little fish.  That was no problem, a bit odd, but no problem.  A bit later however, I start to feel some stinging feelings; on my side, right leg, left leg.  Within minutes, I am out of the water, and realize that I must have ran into some jelly fish.  The pain wasn't terrible, a bit less than a bee sting, and within about 30 minutes all the pain had subsided.

The next day, this is what the beach looked like; thousands of Moon Jellies washed ashore.



Sources on the internet indicate that the Moon Jellies have a very mild sting; I would argue that.  In any case, these are creatures to be respected.

1 comment:

BethK said...

was in Miami last week/weekend and they were everywhere! be careful!